Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Band of Sisters by Annette Lyon

Book Description:

When the war on terror calls their husbands to duty, five LDS women are left behind to fight battles of their own: Kim, the newlywed and pregnant, frightened of what the future might bring. Brenda, struggling to manage three unruly boys and a crippling bout of depression. Jessie, secretly grappling with mixed feelings about her crumbling marriage. Marianne, wrestling with a rebellious teenage daughter. And Nora, the seasoned Army wife with perfect hair, an immaculate home-and an ill-tempered mother dying of cancer.

Knowing the separation of deployment is extremely difficult, Nora gathers the wives every week to share lunches and burdens. In good company, they worry over safety in the field and stability at home and offer one another counsel and comfort.

But as their personal build, each woman faces the risks of forming deep bonds of trust. And when tragedy strikes, they must confront the painful realities of war that pull families apart and bring friends together as sisters.

http://www.anenettelyon.com/

My opinion:

OK, I loved this book. The further into the book I got, the more I hated to put it down. In fact, when I got to the last couple of chapters, I didn't put it down. I stayed up too late with a book light in bed finishing the book.  (Then of course, I was cranky in the morning but happy I finished the book.) As a reader, I was able to find a little bit of myself in each of the women. The fact that they weren't perfect, their families weren't perfect and they struggled with their own insecurities made every one of them believable.

If you have read it, let me know what you think. What did you like or dislike about it?

Till next book review......

5 comments:

  1. Ooh sounds thrilling! I love it and want to read it! I will find it and read it! Thanks Dim :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book, too. Actually, I think it's Annette's most compelling book to date, so I'm not surprised it kept you up late to finish. I loved the women in this story and hope there will be a sequel so we can find out what happens to them and their lives when their husbands come home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The characters in this book were so identifiable, that I felt as if they were MY friends. Excellent book, one of my favorite of the year so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definately a good read. I couldnt stop crying through the second half.

    ReplyDelete